We are pleased to announce that Opal 4.0 is now available. Opal is OBiBa’s core data management application
This release of Opal integrates with the Rock R server which is a modern implementation of a R server with a REST API, built-in security and the capability of scaling horizontaly: Opal can connect with multiple R servers, grouped in a cluster. This allows to balance the load of the analysis between multiple computation nodes. This fully integrates with the DataSHIELD federated analysis platform.
Additional features implemented:
- import/export data in RDS format (single serialized R object, see base::readRDS documentation), also available as import/export python commands,
- new Resource permissions python commands for adding/deleting permissions on a project's resources,
- the R REST API now returns either binary serialized R objects (as before) or JSON serialized R objects, which makes the Opal's R service usable by non-R clients,
- R markdown report additional files (R script to source, subsection of R markdown, images etc.) are supported for building complex reports.
Despite Opal is backward compatible with the legacy R servers, some breaking changes are expected with this release:.
- R based plugins need to be upgraded. This will be done automatically by Opal (requires internet connection),
- opalr needs to be upgraded to its latest version (otherwise JSON serialized R objects will be returned). Use the following R command:
This release was possible thanks to the funding of the EUCAN-Connect program.
See Opal documentation for installation and operation instructions. We recommend to have a look at the section about Docker Image Installation .